The laws in Alabama have changed to provide more rights than ever to fathers
and their children. As the laws had been skewed for years, often favoring
the mother in the “traditional” sense, there is recognition
now among lawmakers that these gender roles have changed especially in
recent years. There is a growing awareness of the fact that children benefit
immensely from having both parents playing an active role in their lives.
A study conducted by the National Parents Organization found that children
showed a marked improvement in performance in school, formed better social
relationships with their peers, and fared better emotionally than those
who had distant relationships with their parents.
In response to this, many lawmakers have called for a shift in the laws
to recommend shared custody. Provided that both parents are fit to continue
being active in their role and possess the means to provide for their children.
These are some factors that may discount a parent from receiving custody:
- The child’s age
- The mental and physical health of the parent
- The parent’s capacity to provide a healthy environment for the child
- The parent’s ability to care for the child
- Each parent’s relationship with the child
- The time each parent has available to offer the child
- Whether or not there are siblings
- Whether or not the parent has had a history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Whether or not the parent has had a history of domestic violence
- The parent’s other friendships or relationships with other partners
Ultimately, it will be up to a judge’s discretion to decide on these
matters. On the flipside to the notion of shared custody, for some families,
this option may not be ideal and may cause more difficulties for the children,
who are forced to adjust.
If you are looking to learn more about your legal options as a father or
a mother seeking child custody,
Gossman Law Firm, LLC can help! We are Birmingham child custody attorneys who are committed to helping
families find the right solution to suit their needs.
Call (205) 402-8808 today! We offer