How To Spot The Symptoms Of Cyberbullying
Posted by Gossman Law Firm, LLC || 19-Sep-2017 Cyberbullying is a growing epidemic in the country and, unfortunately, it can be difficult for parents to know whether or not their children are being victimized, especially since children are often scared of speaking out about it. They might be concerned that the bullying will worsen if they confide in someone, or worse, that they deserve to be bullied and that it is somehow their fault. Since you cannot always expect your children to come to you for help, it is your duty as a parent to learn how to spot the signs, so you can intervene and offer your help and protection.
What Is Cyberbullying?
There are many types of cyberbullying. This includes:
- Harassment, or repeated offensive and rude messages
- Denigration, such as derogatory or untrue posts, and even digitally altered photos
- Flaming, otherwise known as online fighting
- Cyberstalking, such as repeated threats or intimidating online activities that cause another person to fear for his or her safety
- Impersonating someone by hacking into an email or social networking account
- Tricking someone into revealing embarrassing or sensitive information
Here are some of the signs you should be aware of:
- Your child is not doing well at school.
- Your child might be having trouble sleeping or eating.
- Your child is experiencing unexplained weight loss or gain.
- Your child appears to be nervous when it comes to receiving texts, instant messages or emails.
- Your child is unwilling to share information with you regarding his or her online activity.
- Your child is exhibiting unexplained anger or aggression, especially after having spent time online.
- Your child might suddenly shut off or walk away from the computer mid-use.
- Your child is nervous, seems to have lost confidence, or seems distressed and withdrawn
Birmingham Family Law Attorneys
At Gossman Law Firm, LLC, our Birmingham legal team has experience in a wide range of practice areas and are well-equipped to handle even the most complex family law matters. No matter what issue you might be facing, you can rely on our skilled and compassionate legal team to effectively represent your interests and answer any questions you might have along the way. Whether you are striving for child custody, child support or alimony, we will help build a case that protects your interests and your family’s future.