Exclusively handling complex divorce and family law matters for individuals throughout Birmingham

What Does ”Best Interests Of The Child” Mean?

On Behalf of | Nov 16, 2015 | Firm News |

Posted by Gossman Law Firm, LLC || 16-Nov-2015

Best Interests Of The Child

The legal phrase “best interests of the child” is used to describe how the courts believe would be the best way to protect a child’s emotional, mental and physical stability. For children, the divorce experience alone can be a traumatic event. Minimizing the effects of this is critical to resolving most cases, and so the courts will be more apt to approve a situation that is the least disruptive. Some of the factors used to determine the best interests of the child include:

  • The parents’ mental and physical health
  • The parents’ ability to provide financially
  • The age and gender of the child
  • The child’s personal preferences
  • Whether or not domestic violence occurred in the home
  • Whether or not one or both parents abused drugs or alcohol or child abuse
  • Proximity to schools, day care, afterschool programs and other community programs
  • The need for the child to continue living in a stable environment
  • Opportunities for the child to interact with grandparents and other family members

Deciding Custody Arrangements

Whether you are going through divorce, separation, or annulment, or simply need to resolve your custody agreements, the law will always enact what is in the child’s best interests. You may have one idea about how you envision custody and visitation scheduling, but your spouse may have another. Resolving this through mediation is one way to amicably find a compromise, and you can avoid many of the arduous and contentious court proceedings. Every case will be different, however. Gossman Law Firm, LLC, urges you to seek counsel first from a reliable and knowledgeable Birmingham divorce lawyer. Attorney Gossman is known for going above and beyond to exceed clients’ expectations.

We offer free case reviews. Let’s start today! Give us a call at 205-498-7455 to request yours.