Exclusively handling complex divorce and family law matters for individuals throughout Birmingham

Is your ex-spouse bad-mouthing you to your children?

On Behalf of | Nov 29, 2022 | Child Custody And Support |

If you’re going through a divorce, it’s important to remember that your kids will be affected, too. Unfortunately, one common tactic of an ex-spouse during a divorce is to bad-mouth the other parent to the children. 

How should you deal with this situation and protect your children from its harmful effects? Here’s what you should know:

Why is parental alienation harmful to children?

Parental alienation is when one parent damages or destroys the relationship between their child and the other parent. They can do this through several methods, including but not limited to the following: 

  • Slander
  • Manipulation
  • Brainwashing
  • Outright lies

There are some signs that parental alienation is occurring, such as:

  • Sudden changes in the child’s attitude towards the targeted parent
  • The child parroting negative comments made by the other parent
  • The child refuses to see or speak to the other parent. 

When children are alienated from one parent, it can have a profound and lasting impact on their lives. Studies have shown that children estranged from a parent are more likely to experience mental health problems, academic difficulties, and social problems. They may also have difficulty forming future relationships and may be more likely to become involved in criminal activity. In short, alienation can have a devastating effect on children. 

If you think your ex-spouse is already alienating your children from you, it is vital to take action immediately. The first step is to try to talk to your ex-spouse about your concerns. If this isn’t possible or your ex-spouse refuses to listen, you may need legal help. 

It is also essential to record any evidence you have of alienation, such as text messages, social media posts, or conversations with your children. This evidence can support your case if you need to take legal action.