Child Custody Faq

Read Our Child Custody FAQs

Alabama has unique laws governing child custody which you need to understand if you are going through a divorce or custody battle. The trusted Birmingham child custody lawyer at Gossman Law Firm, LLC can offer you needed legal advice during this difficult time so your parental rights are respected.

The following are some common questions regarding child custody. Further questions can be directed our office, where we offer a free initial consultation. 

  • What Determines how the Court Will Rule?

    The primary concern of the court is the best interests of the child. To this end, the court will look at all relevant factors concerning the child’s wellbeing in deciding how custody ought to work.

    Such factors include:

    • The child’s age and gender
    • The child’s needs
    • Both parent’s age, character, stability, health, capacity, and ability to meet their child’s needs
    • Each parent’s relationship with the child
    • The home environment each parent can offer the child
    • The child’s preference if of sufficient age

    Back to Top

    What is Joint Custody?

    The court typically assumes the child’s interests are best served by maintaining as much equal contact with both parents as possible and so will lean towards awarding join custody to both parents. This will mean both parents will share in the right to make major decisions in their child’s life including their schooling and healthcare choices.

    Back to Top

    Will Joint Custody Always be Awarded?

    If there is a significant reason to restrict one parent’s access to their child such as domestic violence, the court can award sole custody to the other parent.

    In determine if sole custody is a viable option, the court will look at:

    • If the parents agree to joint custody
    • If the parents have shown they can work together
    • If each parent can foster a good relationship between the child and other parent
    • Any history of inappropriate behavior by either parent
    • The physical proximity of the parents’ homes

    Back to Top

    Can my Children Have Their Own Representation Appointed by the Court?

    The court can appoint your children an attorney if it feels they need it. This attorney is called a guardian ad litem (GAL) and are chosen by the judge to only represent the children’s interests. Both parents will usually pay the GAL a fee.

    Back to Top

    When can my Children Decide who They Wish to Live With?

    State law gives the court the power to decide custody cases. They may choose to hear the child’s wishes, but the child does not get to choose where to live.

    Back to Top

    Ask More Questions In A Free Consultation

    You can ask more questions to attorney Richelle Gossman when you schedule a free initial consultation. We are here to answer your questions and address any concerns you have. To get a free consultation, call 205-606-6896 or send an email.